A piercing insight of a major dilemma in the small business sector led Rod LeGrande to create the sales coaching industry. Known for his national success in franchise sales, Rod originally founded Excellence Quest in 1983 as a sales training company along with delivering motivational speeches accross the country.
During his speaking enagements during the 1980s Rod uncovered a major challenge with businesses: how to train and motivate their sales force and hold them accountable to ensure sales growth. Large national corporations and small companies had the same problem, but their solutions, although very different, became inadequate.
- Large Corporations hired sales executives as their sales managers. But a good salesperson didn't necessarily make a good sales manager.
- Small business owners, being unable to justify a sales manager for a few sales staff were left to manage the sales staff on their own.
Having seen this dilemma among small and large businesses Rod created the sales coaching industry to provide the expertise to both.
- Large businesses could hire the sales coach to set up a professional selling system that worked. Then the sales coach could train their sales manager with an effective program that would in turn empower him to effectively train, motivate and monitor his sales force.
- Small businesses could hire a sales coach as a Sales-Manager-for-hire to provide the trainignn, nmotivation and accountability for much less than the cost of hiring a full time sales manager.
Whether it was large business or small business, salespeople were the same creature. His company, Excellence Quest provided certain programs neccessary tfor the success of any salesperson.
- A comprehensive sales training program (now known as the Excellence Quest Sales Training University) with monthly seminars and weekly training materials.
- Incentives and Contests to drive salespoeple beyond their confort zones. Both short term sales contests and annual luxury vacation incentive trips.
- Accountability by inspecting (not just expecting) each salespersons progress, territory management, personal improvement, etc.
- Personal motivation and encouragement with each salesperson.
During his development of the sales coaching business Rod later developed a system to help his sales coaches better motivate each salesperson, monitor their activities, manage the monthly contests and annual incentives and create effective compensation plans. This system would eventually become the highly acclaimed Salesperson-On-Auto-Pilot software, which focuses on two specific challenges salespeople face:
- Staying motivated when things get tough.
- Staying disciplined when things are going well.
The software compels each salesperson to consistency. As each salesperson develops self-motivation and self-discipline their sales become consistent in growth, without the highs and lows.
Rod's dedication to his profession since 1979 is matched by his dedication to his wife which he married in the same year. He and his wife revel over their highly regarded six children and many grand children.
Rod's continued contributions to the business world are exemplary. He continues to motivate and inspire audiences of all sizes.